Saturday, July 7, 2012

Research Topic


I have kind of already posted this question in the student lounge. But my simulation topic was  

“How does family diversity play a role in the classroom”; I wasn’t sure if I was using the correct terms of “diversity”. I have a child in my classroom where he has to constantly need’s to touch everything and everyone he passes. I mean it’s not just a tapping but at times full body contact.  When I addressed the issues with his family they stated it was a family thing and that his mother’s family was a very touchy family. So that got me to thinking; then who is to say that it’s right or wrong for this type of physical contact. Then when talking with a co-worker she stated as long he wasn’t harming himself or others then it would not be an issue. But the other children are getting tried of him body slamming them and are starting to fight back; then we have two children are crying. I have done several searches and have not really come up with the right topic or search words to get the right topic. Does anyone have any idea’s of how to search this topic I would greatly indebted?

3 comments:

  1. Shannon, that is a good question because I have experienced this as well, not as deep but the touchy feely. I to would like to know ways for addressing that. We don't know what situations our children are coming to us from. I look forward to seeing what you find.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shannon, I agree to an extent that as long as he isn't hurting anyone then it isn't an issue, but since he is old enough to be in your program (I'm guessing that he is at least 3) then he is old enough to start learning about personal boundaries. We have had to work with children to validate their need to touch while helping them understand that they need to ask others before touching - or give some sort of cue before grabbing. It can be a challenging situation to help him learn situationally appropriate behaviors without casting a negative light on acceptable family practices. We try to be very aware of these needs for physical connection and do what we can to provide appropriate outlets, including an extra hug from time to time throughout the day - sometimes simply a hand on the shoulder works wonders.
    Could this have a tie to ASD?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Shannon,
    A couple of things crossed my mind.
    1. Do you have opportunities for rough play in your daily schedule? Frances Carlson wrote a book called "Big Body Play" that is available from NAEYC. When I was in the classroom, we would sometimes have wrestling (well-supervised of course). Then you could tell the child, "If you would like to play rough, when we go outside you can ask some friends to play wrestling with you (or whatever appropriate big body activity was available).
    2. Sometimes heavy pressure is sought be children with sensory integration challenges. This same child might play very roughly, but dislike children who are touching them lightly (such as brushing up close to them during circle time). If you think this might be the case, request an evaluation. Pressure vests and massage sometimes help.

    ReplyDelete